Recent posts by Robert Bruno - NJ.com

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ten Things to Watch: Giants vs Steelers

1.  Eliminate the mistakes - Monday night's game was sloppy.  As it was the first preseason game, I can understand, but now I want to see improvement.  I realize a lot of starters are out, but the dumb mistakes and miscues need to be eliminated.

2.  Keith Bulluck and Kenny Phillips -  Both are expected to make their 2010 debut tonight.  Say a prayer, and keep an eye on their knees.

3.  Linval Joseph and JPP - Let me just tell you I'll be keeping an eye on these two all preseason.  I'd like to see a breakout performance by at least one of them.

4.  Rhett Bomar - Here's your chance kid.  The Colts failed to resign Sorgi partly because of concerns over his shoulder, now the Giants understand.  Can Bomar really be the back-up?  He'll get the start and likely play nearly the whole game against an excellent defense, so we'll find out.

5.  Special Teams - Kicks, coverage, returns, all were ugly on Monday night, and all need to improve tonight.  Like to see somebody step up in the return game.  Victor Cruz?....just saying.

6.  Running game - It never got going last week, but I did like what I saw from all of the backs.  Let's see if they can get a few holes and make something happen.

7.  Victor Cruz - flash in the pan or a real find?  Let's see what he can do for an encore.

8.  Gerris Wilkinson - I must admit I overlooked Wilkinson's play in my cursory viewing of the Jets game, but evidently the coaches were impressed.  Wilkinson even found himself taking snaps with the first team this week thanks to his play Monday night.  He'll probably get some time at MLB with the first team tonight, so let's see if he can finally step up or continue to disappoint (like his fellow 2006 draft pick Sinorice Moss).


9.  The D-line:  They were very disappointing in week 1--everyone was.  Hopefully we'll see a little intensity, and a little pass rush.  As a bonus, keep a close eye on DE Dave Tollefson.  Since publishing the last 3-up/3-down column, I've regretted snubbing Tollefson.  He looked like a dead man walking when the Giants drafted JPP but he is making it very hard for them to get rid of him.  They've even played with him at LB in their all-D-end front (which is yet to be revealed).  The preseason is really all about guys like Tollefson--guys working their tail off to try and earn a roster spot.

10.  Do I really need to say it?  Just stay healthy.

-----


Well I'll admit, I'm playing golf so I'll be a little late the the party tonight, but I have it recording so I should be able to catch up pretty quick.  Follow me on twitter (or check my twitter feed on this site) to see my real-time reactions to the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment