Recent posts by Robert Bruno - NJ.com

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ten Things To Watch: Giants vs Ravens

Saturday night the Giants travel to Baltimore for their only real road game of the preseason.  I'll be at the game in my 1986 Jim Burt jersey, so I hope to give you my impressions of the team live.  Several players are likely to miss the game, some of the key guys are Shaun O’Hara, Aaron Ross, Terrell Thomas, Chris Canty, and Ramses Barden.  The injuries are getting frustrating now, and now the Giants won't get a preseason game with their complete starting 11 on either side.  So it will likely be another half-assed sloppy effort.  God help us.  In any event, as always, here are ten things I'll be keeping an eye on.

1.  The linebacker rotation - Not really sure what's going on with this group--not really sure they do either.  It's looking more and more like Jonathan Goff will get the start in the middle, with Michael Boley and Keith Bullock on either side of him, but a rotation is likely.  Keep a close eye on how Fewell rotates in Gerris Wilkinson and Clint Sintim.

2.  The running game - I know most teams prefer to pass more in the preseason to work out their timing, but this team needs to regain its identity on the ground and I hope to see them sustain a little ground attack Saturday.

3.  Jay Alford, Kenny Phillips, and Keith Bulluck - these three key defense players who are all coming off injury are hoping to ratchet up the intensity this week.  Let's hope we see all three back to form.

4.  The not-so-special special teams - I know I say this every week, but I just want somebody to show something.

5.  William Beatty vs Terrell Suggs - Suggs moves around, but if and when he's lined up on Beatty I'll be anxious to see if the young tackle can hold his own, or if he's over-matched.

6.  Eli Manning - we haven't seen much of Eli, and the last time we did he nearly got his head taken off.  It looks like Hakeem Nicks and Steve Smith will both play, so it will good to see if the trio are in sync yet or not.

7.  Jason Pierre-Paul and Linval Joseph - Again, I know I'm like a broken record, but I'm still not sure what we have with these two.  Both had rough games last week so let's see if they can bounce back.

8.  Plenty of ice bags on the sideline - these injuries are so ridiculous right now, let's just get everyone healthy and start this thing over.

9.  Crisp play - This is the dress rehearsal, so it's time for the first teams to knock off the mistakes and miscues.  The Giants need to look like a team ready to start the season.  Thanks to injuries, I fear we won't see that, but here's to hope....

10.  Something to get excited about - The first two preseason games were very bland.  Granted, they were preseason games.  But really, what have the Giants done to make you get excited about this season? The first game had Victor Cruz, but let's see a starter step up and take over a game.  Or better yet, a whole starting unit.  I want to see the defensive line dominate, or the secondary shut down, or the running-backs run wild.  Just give me something to make me think 2010 will be better than 8-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment