Recent posts by Robert Bruno - NJ.com

Friday, September 3, 2010

Post-game Overreaction (Preseason Week 4: Giants 20; Patriots 17)

Well, I got at least one of my wishes.  The Giants' offense took the ball down the field with ease on their opening possession to score a TD.  Finally!  Unfortunately, the defense--set up with bad field position by terrible kick coverage once again--let the Pats answer right back.  Oh well.  Here's a few random observations from the game:
  • The Giants opening game is 9 days away and they still don't have a kick returner.  Manningham and Ross (if and when he returns from the injury) can handle the punt returns, but no one has looked good on kick-offs.  Andre Brown was probably the most consistent (albeit the least explosive) through preseason, but he has the dreaded "Turf Toe" and will likely miss at least the first game of the season.  I'll tell you another thing, it doesn't matter who is back there right now if the Giants don't find 10 other guys who can block because there has been no where to go.

  • Bryan Kehl played his heart out last night.  I'm a long-time supporter of Kehl's and I hope to see him hang on.  He showed some tremendous speed last night.  The problem is, who do you cut?

  • I know they gave up a TD on the first drive, but I thought the starting defense played much better overall.  Brady was squeezing the ball into some tight spaces.  If those are the types of passes they are going to make QB's make, then I expect they'll generate a lot more turnovers this year, which should help counteract the yards they may give up.

  • Clint Sintim is awful. 

  • Carl Banks made 2 good points on the broadcast last night:

    • First, when he talked about how the Giants don't seem to have anyone who understands how to blitz.  Their blitzes look like they are in slow motion.  They need to watch some film of how teams like the Ravens and Jets blitz (and while there at it, pop in some tape of their own defense from the 2007 season).

    • Secondly, I agree with Banks about Jonathan Goff's play.  Even though he was in with back-ups, he just seemed to be moving around with more aggression and confidence.

  • Mario Manningham is still running the wrong routes.  If this guy had half a brain he'd be a hell of a football player.

  • If the Giants can't bring themselves to cut some of the veterans on defense I mentioned in my preview of the cuts, they may be able to roll the dice and go with only 8 offensive linemen.  They have guys who are versatile, so they might be able to pull it off for at least 6 weeks when Boothe comes off the PUP.  If they do, they'll likely release Petrus and just pray he clears waivers so they can sign him to the practice squad.  I'm not saying they will, I'm just saying it's an option.

  • Hakeem Nicks and Steve Smith are going to be one hell of a 1-2 punch at WR. 

  • The Bossman (aka Kevin Boss) looked good last night in his limited action.

  • Shawn Andrews looks like he may have been an absolute steal.
  • Antrel Rolle is going to do what they paid him top dollar to do:  make big plays.

  • With the preseason wrapped-up, I can honestly say I have no idea what to expect from the Giants this year.  I can see them winning 11 games and the division, I can see them losing 11 games and finishing in dead last, and I can see all possibilities in between....

No comments:

Post a Comment