Recent posts by Robert Bruno - NJ.com

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Post Game Overreaction: Giants 31; Panthers 18

A win is a win is a win.  They don't give style points.  That being said, there are plenty of positives to take away from today's win, and also plenty of areas where the G-men need to improve.  Here are my quick hit/half drunk thoughts on the game:

~ The special teams are still a nightmare.  I like what I saw from Reynaud, but other than that, this is an absolutely awful special team unit.  No coverage on kickoffs, the worst punter in the world, a blocked punt no return yards...a circus on the field every time they come on.

~ The adjustments both the offense and the defense made at half-time make me feel good about the G-mens chances.

~ Matt Moore is not a good football player...I thank him for that.

~ The decision to keep only 2 TE's (really 1.5 because Travis Beckum is incapable of blocking another human being) has already proven to be a mistake.

~ I like the look of the "Big Base"--with Kiwanuka at OLB and Chris Canty at DE.  The run defense was impressive.

~ What's with those hideous "New Meadowlands Stadium" patches -- ugly.

~ All of Eli's INT's were slightly off-target passes, but all of them could have been caught.

~ The Giants need consistency from the run game.  The yardage obviously improved in the second half, but overall the rushing attack was still inconsistent.

~ The game turned around when I poured myself a glass of Jameson.  Just sayin'....

~ Linval Joseph a healthy scratch?  You have to expect more from a second round pick.

~ Hakeem Nicks was ridiculous.  Mario Manningham also impressed me -- which I'm sure was his goal going into the day.

~ Jason Pierre-Paul was a ghost in this one. Just sayin'....

~ Matt Dodge-- I know I already lambasted the special teams, but this guy needs a special mention.  What an absolutely terrible punter.

~ I think the Panthers are a 6-10 football team.  So beating them at home is nothing to write home about.  But I also don't think the Giants played as well as they can, so there is a bit of hope.  Then again, this was one sloppy game and the Giants won't beat many teams playing the way they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment