Recent posts by Robert Bruno - NJ.com

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Giants Add Rosenfels and Reynaud

The Giants solved their concerns at back-up QB and in the return game in one fell swoop last night by trading with the Minnesota Vikings for QB Sage Rosenfels and RB/WR/RS Darius Reynaud.  The Giants sent Minnesota a 5th round pick in 2011 and a conditional pick in 2012 in return.

The trade shores-up two of the Giants' concerns, but has also got to have a few players worried.  As I discussed the other day, a lot of noteworthy players could find themselves cut today.  Adding two more players (both guaranteed to make the roster provided they pass a physical) only creates more of a log-jam.  I'm sure a lot of players started to feel their seats warm-up last night.

One player I thought was safe but suddenly is definitely in jeopardy is Victor Cruz.  The local training camp hero is no lock to make the roster (I know I said I thought he was, but everything changes now).  Cruz is not much of a special teams contributor so it's possible (I still don't think likely though) that  Reynaud just took his roster spot.  The Giants haven't had a 3rd QB in several years, so Rhett Bomar might also be looking for a job by the end of the day.  Fortunately for both of them, they've played well enough to land a job somewhere in the league. 

Overall, this is a good deal for the Giants.  They were in desperate need of a kick returner and Rosenfels is the kind of veteran presence you like to have on the bench, ready to steady the ship if Eli goes down. 

------

Today is the big cut-down day.  I'll be on the road but I'll try and update everyone via Twitter (@fatgiantfan) as the cuts are announced.

No comments:

Post a Comment