Recent posts by Robert Bruno - NJ.com

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Matt Leinart in Blue? Not Buying It

Early this morning, Adam "I Like to Run With Stories Without Solid Sources" Schefler reported on ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike in the Morning" that the Giants were one of three teams interested in trading for Cardinal's QB Matt Leinart (The Bills and Raiders were the other two).  In related news, I'm looking to drop 20 pounds, but neither is going to happen.  First of all, Leinart is owed $10 million in base salary over the next two years.  I don't see the Giants trading a draft pick to spend $5 million a year on a back-up.  Secondly, the Giants don't need another young, unproven QB.  I mean, isn't that essentially what Rhett Bomar is?  I realize Leinart was a star in college and a first-round pick, but none of that matters now--does it.  Both he and Bomar are unproven back-ups at this point.  I'm in favor of the Giants adding some QB depth, but only if it is a veteran who has shown that he can play in the NFL.  I mean, Jeff Garcia is playing in the UFL right now--just sayin'.  If Eli goes down and can't play a few games, wouldn't you feel more comfortable with a veteran stepping in to hold down the fort until he comes back?  I think the Giants wait for cut-down day to make a decision.  If they see someone they like that is available, they'll sign him, if not, then Rhett "the threat" Bomar should be the #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment