Recent posts by Robert Bruno - NJ.com

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Now that the dust has settled...a calmer look back at the Giants Preseason Loss to the Ravens

I had my hand on the panic button Saturday night, but I managed to talk myself out of pushing it.  3 days later I've taken my hand off, but I'm still keeping it close by.  I'm not as worked up about the problems the Giants had in coverage anymore, however.  Tom Coughlin said that they stuck with a lot of man coverage (even though it wasn't working) as a test for their young corners--hinting that the Giants defensive game plan was designed more to see what the unit was capable of, rather than stopping the Ravens.  It's also Perry Fewell's first season, and as we saw in 2007, it can take a little time for players to grow comfortable with a new scheme, so we as fans shouldn't overreact to what happen Saturday night.  Plus Fewell's Bills were the second best defense against the pass last year and I still believe the Giants have more talent in their secondary than the Bills.

Still,  I can't shake the worry I have about both sides of the line.  The offensive line looked old and slow, and the defensive line--the tackles anyway--looked soft.  I think that the Shaun Andrews pick-up is looking more important every day.  If O'Hara's ankle continues to be a problem, I expect the starting O-Line to be Diehl (LT), Andrews (LG), Seubert (C), Snee (RG), and McKenzie (RT) by week 3.  No matter who is in there, the line will have to pick up their play.  On the defensive side of the ball, Perry Fewell is going to have to get creative with how he attacks the run.  The Giants are not a "read-and-react" type of front 7.  They lack the strength and 2-gap style D-tackles.  They need to get back to attacking the run gaps like they did under Steve Spagnuolo.  Of course, Fewell is the coordinator who had one of the worst run defenses in the league over the past two years (sigh).  Let's hope for the best.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Bruns. Expectations are at an all time low right now. So much shit just not looking where i thought it would be. Even tough it is preseason I feel like the G-Men have no idea what is going on or what to do on plays. This has the strong possiblity of bringing my alcohol problem to a new level. Speaking of alcohol, what are you doing for the opening game, you should roll down I plan on BBQing and slamming a bottle of Jameson. Make it happen.

    ReplyDelete